Friday, May 11, 2012

The Gay Marriage Issue

One problem with fighting hatred is that if you do it long enough you eventually become your enemy. Sometimes its that you get tired of waiting for results. Sometimes its getting mad that people don’t accept you for the way that you are. In the past week I’ve noticed people who are for gay marriage start to sound like the very people they are fighting against.

If you’ve read any of my other blogs then you know that I am a hate filled person. I hate 98% of what I see and am on the fence about the other 2%. I don’t hate gay folks. Don’t have a problem with them and wish that they could get married whenever the hell they wanted to. I also don’t have a problem with North Carolina and their decision to ban gay marriage. Why? Because they voted on it and I don’t live there.

I know that it sucks when things go against what you believe. I can look at a KKK member and see why he wants a pure race just the same way I can look at people wanting to have gays not marry. Its against what they believe. Its hard as hell to fight a belief. All you can do is try to change their view and failing that chalk it up in the loss column. Making fun of them wont help.

And that’s what I’ve been seeing a lot of lately. From comedians, to actors, to even my friends. They are upset so they start making jokes about people who live in South Carolina. Why? Is it a case of being a sore loser? Or is it that people think if they make enough fun of them (are we still on that whole no bullying thing or what?) that they’ll go “Oh, all right. You gays can get hitched…

President Obama recently got on a unicorn and said this.

I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or Marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.

Whether or not you agree with North Carolina’s new law being passed, you have to honor it. It’s a constitutional amendment. That means it can be changed again at some point. That fucking thing has been changed quite a bit even before we were born and it’ll be changed afterwards. What many of you have to understand that you’re not fighting people you believe have sex with their cousins, you’re fighting religion.

Super Jay-Zus!!!

Good luck with that one. People who believe in the bible word for word…are rare. There have been many instances of people using some of the craziest things they can find in the bible to support gays being allowed to marry. No one believes the bible 100%. If you say you do you’re a goddamn liar.

See what I did there? Exodus 20:7 says I just committed a major fucking no-no. But I wasn’t raised religiously so I say shit like that all the time with no fear of repercussions. We take what we know and learn and apply it when it fits into our daily lives. Don’t believe me, look up Leviticus 21:17-18. Stevie Wonder and Stephen Hawkins are screwed.

No comments: